Posted Wednesday, January 13, 2016
Are you looking for a fulfilling career? If so, you could find a rewarding future with Ithaca, NY. based Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, Inc., (TCAT, Inc.), which is recognized by its peers as being the best transit agency of its size in North America. Fully qualified candidates that join our winning team will receive a sign on bonus of $2,500 to be paid out over a one year period.
The mechanic position requires the ability to perform routine servicing and preventive maintenance with diesel and heavy vehicle experience preferred, and a Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) with air brake endorsement. Background check and pre employment drug testing are required.
Performs and assumes responsibility for:
• routine servicing and preventative maintenance of transit fleet including: lubrications, oil changes, tire repairs, welding, tune-ups, electrical repairs, body and paint repairs
• completing major repair work including: engine overhaul or replacement, clutch replacement, standard and automatic transmissions, drive line, differential, air brakes, body modifications, diesel and gas engine repair
• using specialized electronic equipment for diagnosis and repair of computerized controls on engines and transmissions
• completing work orders on all repair and maintenance work performed
• using the computerized maintenance records to enter data, check on recent repairs and to review past history on vehicles
• responding to emergency road calls
• assisting with on-the-job-training of new mechanics
• Must possess high school diploma or equivalent (e.g. GED) and be a graduate of an accredited school with certification in diesel technology is desirable; an Associate’s degree in that field preferred;
• Minimum three years mechanical experience working on diesel engines in a heavy equipment environment with vehicles over 18,000 pounds;
• Skilled in the use of tools necessary for the maintenance and repair of heavy duty equipment (e.g. drill press, welders, hoists, hydraulic press, bus washer);
• Must be experienced in air brakes diagnosis and repair;
• Must possess a commercial driver’s license (CDL) with air brake endorsement or obtain license within 3 months of hire date.
Maintenance Service Supervisor – night shift
Posted Monday, December 14, 2015
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, Inc. (TCAT, Inc.) is looking for a Maintenance Service Supervisor to assist the superintendent in overseeing the maintenance and service program of the transit fleet. Maintain parts inventory through parts distribution. Supervise, determine work priorities, and work schedules for mechanics and bus handlers on night shift. Oversees and monitors work to insure quality of service performed. Provides leadership and direction to the lead mechanics, mechanics and bus handlers to insure expected level of performance is met by resolving conflicts and making adjustments to schedules and work assignments as needed.
Performs and assumes supervision responsibility for mechanics and bus handlers:
• Oversees the activities of mechanics and bus handlers.
• Assigns work priorities and work schedules
• Participates in the hiring process
• Conducts performance reviews and probationary reviews
• Signs employee time cards and approves time away from work
• Prepares/generates vehicle service reports
• Assures implementation of the safety plan for the service areas of transit service center
• Monitors the fluid management system and its usage
Oversees the repairs to the transit fleet:
• Works with the Parts Coordinator to assure necessary parts are on-hand to effect repairs
• Distributes parts and supplies to night shift mechanics
• Reviews and enters work orders into the EasyBus computer system for inventory control and tracking purposes.
• Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Maintenance and Parts to assure the smooth operation of the transit service center.
• Provides night dispatch service to in-service transit vehicles including but not limited to responding to inquiries, performing face-to-face dispatch.
• Performs the Superintendent of Maintenance and Parts role supervising the maintenance department when Superintendent is off on leave.
• Must possess high school diploma or equivalent (e.g. GED) and possess an Associate’s degree or equivalent work experience is required.
• Minimum three to five years of supervisory experience in a vehicle maintenance facility.
• Demonstrated leadership skills to direct work force in a positive manner.
• Possess excellent interpersonal, written and oral skills
• Experience in service management, preferably in transit vehicle or heavy equipment environments.
• Thorough knowledge of diesel and gas mechanical systems is desirable.
• Working knowledge of personal computers and related software; Microsoft Windows experience desirable.
• Must possess a commercial driver’s license (CDL) with air brake endorsement or obtain license within 6 months of hire date.
• Possess good communication skills and be able to interact with co-workers, customers and management in a positive manner.
• Ability to utilize time effectively and work steadily and conscientiously.
• Must be able to achieve favorable outcomes for the organization beyond minimum work expectations.
• Ability to read and follow written instructions.
• Ability to exercise good judgment with respect to bus repairs and equipment safety.
• Must follow established policies and procedures of TCAT.
• Contact with diesel fuel, fluids, petroleum products, toxic fumes and solvents.
• Perform work inside or outside garage and exposed to inclement weather, icy conditions.
• Noise level is moderately loud due to running of gas and diesel engines and running of maintenance equipment such as lifts, air compressors, etc.
• Ability to work second and/or third shift.
• Occasional overtime may be required as approved by management.
Full Time TCAT employees receive a competitive wage and have an excellent benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, and free transportation.
TCAT, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, sex, national origin, age, military status, marital status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, gender identity or expression, or any other basis that would be a violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Please click on the links below for additional information.