Posted Thursday, May 21, 2015
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, Inc. (TCAT, Inc.) is looking for a vehicle mechanic to join our team. Candidates must have the ability to perform routine servicing and preventive maintenance. Diesel and heavy vehicle experience preferred. Background check and pre-employment drug testing are required.
Performs and assumes responsibility for:
• routine servicing and preventative maintenance of transit fleet including: lubrications, oil changes, tire repairs, welding, tune-ups, electrical repairs, body and paint repairs
• completing major repair work including: engine overhaul or replacement, clutch replacement, standard and automatic transmissions, drive line, differential, air brakes, body modifications, diesel and gas engine repair
• using specialized electronic equipment for diagnosis and repair of computerized controls on engines and transmissions
• completing work orders on all repair and maintenance work performed
• using the computerized maintenance records to enter data, check on recent repairs and to review past history on vehicles
• responding to emergency road calls
• assisting with on-the-job-training of new mechanics
• Must possess high school diploma or equivalent (e.g. GED) and be a graduate of an accredited school with certification in diesel technology is desirable; an Associate’s degree in that field preferred;
• Minimum three years mechanical experience working on diesel engines in a heavy equipment environment with vehicles over 18,000 pounds;
• Skilled in the use of tools necessary for the maintenance and repair of heavy duty equipment (e.g. drill press, welders, hoists, hydraulic press, bus washer);
• Must be experienced in air brakes diagnosis and repair;
• Must possess a commercial driver’s license (CDL) with air brake endorsement or obtain license within 3 months of hire date.
Full – Time Bus Operator
Posted Thursday May 21, 2015
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, (TCAT) Inc. is looking for Full Time Bus Operators to be responsible for driving a transit bus on fixed routes in the TCAT service area. Must be 21 years of age, have a high level of customer service skills, a professional attitude and a Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) or a willingness to obtain one. TCAT will train for passenger endorsement. Background check and pre-employment drug testing are required.
- Drive a transit bus on fixed routes (and one demand and response route), as assigned, in the TCAT service area.
- Follow route schedules, timetables and comply with instructions.
- Create and maintain a positive and friendly atmosphere providing the customer polite and courteous service at all times.
- Provide information and direction through listening and interacting with passengers to help meet their needs.
- Perform pre-trip vehicle inspection checks as required by NYS law before departing the garage; complete Driver’s Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR).
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Possess clean and valid Commercial Drivers’ License or be willing to obtain one.
- Be able to meet NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law’s 19-A requirements, including physical examination.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test and be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Possess good knowledge of safe driving practices, vehicle traffic laws and regulations.
- Must be able to drive in all types of weather.
- Possess good communication and customer service skills and be able to relate to customers and fellow works in a positive manner.
Full Time TCAT employees receive a competitive wage and have an excellent benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, and free transportation.
TCAT, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, sex, national origin, age, military status, marital status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, gender identity or expression, or any other basis that would be a violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Please click on the links below for additional information.