Manager of Safety Training & Security
Posted Friday, July 17, 2015
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, Inc. (TCAT), is looking for a Manager of Safety, Training and Security to become an integral part of the management team. Provides technical expertise and oversees, develops, and implements programs and procedures in compliance with Federal and State regulations and company policies. Provides training to all employees in the areas of safety, drug and alcohol, and security. Develops and administers new hire and retraining to experienced bus operators and maintenance staff to meet safety and operations requirements including training on new or modified equipment or procedures. Responds to personal injury and vehicle accidents and initiates accident investigation and reporting and completes on-scene investigations, and preparing / submitting corresponding reports to insurance carriers.
– Develops and maintains records of training completed for all TCAT personnel.
– Develops and administers retraining to experienced bus operators and maintenance staff to meet safety and operations requirements including training on new or modified equipment or procedures.
– Develops and administers training to supervisory staff to enable supervisor to assist in bus operator training, and evaluation of bus operator’s performance.
– Oversees driver trainer program to include administration, selection of driver trainers, performance, program improvements and driver trainer evaluations.
– Ensures all safety manuals and plans, policies and practices are current and meet the needs of the company and Federal and State regulations.
– Resides as the expert in OSHA, CDL and Article 19-A compliance and regulations.
– Initiates accident investigation and reporting; responds to accidents, cooperate with police investigations, obtain accident reports, provide reports to insurance offices.
– Performs instructional check rides with bus operators when safety is in question to counsel on improved driving techniques for compliance with TCAT safety policies.
– Works with ergonomic consultant in providing training and staff development to prevent repetitive motion injuries, back, shoulder, neck and arm injuries for new hires and for refresher training.
– Develops security procedures that can be applied to the TCAT facility and its service vehicles.
– Oversees and administers the security access system and maintains the data to provide the employee the proper level of access given the employee’s job position.
– Oversees the security cameras for buses and facilities and will preserve video as needed for review and incident/accident reporting.
– Oversees TCAT’s drug and alcohol program and policies including drug and alcohol random, pre-employment and post-accident testing safety sensitive personnel
– Must possess Associate’s degree or formal training of two years beyond high school.
– Must possess valid CDL, Class B driver’s license or obtain one within six months of hire.
– Must possess NYS 19-A examiner’s certification or obtain one within one year of hire.
– Must have two or more years of safety experience and/or driver safety experience preferably in the transportation industry.
– Must possess strong coaching and training skills with the ability to interpret and explain regulations to others.
– Two or more years of supervisory experience required preferably with bargaining unit employees.
Facility Maintenance Mechanic
Posted Friday, July 17, 2015
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, Inc. (TCAT), Inc. is looking for a Facility Maintenance Mechanic to perform general maintenance in the service area and interior / exterior of the transit facility to ensure building systems are operational and functioning properly at all times. The person is responsible for providing general repairs and maintains building HVAC, electrical, plumbing, security, lighting, mechanical and service area equipment and machinery. Background check and pre-employment drug testing are required.
• Performs general repairs and preventative maintenance for the mechanical equipment in the garage service area and transit facility
• Troubleshoots, maintains and repairs:
• electrical systems to include power distribution, motor controllers, lighting and major electrical appliances, bus washer, water reclamation system, vacuum cleaning system and hydraulic lifts
• plumbing systems including drains
• heating and air conditioning systems
• Sets-up maintenance programs and tracks useful life for equipment
• Monitors building systems daily to ensure proper functioning of all systems, diagnoses problems, reports needed major repairs to maintenance service manager
• Documents all maintenance activities, repairs and related time
• responds to all power failures and fire alarms and brings systems affected back on line
• Responds to all facility related trouble calls including emergency call-in
• attends educational seminars and training to maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology, repair techniques and OSHA safety standards.
• Reports on a monthly basis the status on preventive maintenance program, facility equipment, facility systems and major repairs completed in the month
• Works with Passenger Amenities Supervisor on various projects requiring mechanical and technical abilities on as assigned basis.
• Cleans the interior of the garage and shop areas including:
– dirt, grease and water traps
– the water reclamation and vacuum systems
– floor of shop and bus storage area, using motorized floor sweeper/washer
– Performs minor repair work to maintain building appearance in satisfactory condition including doors, lighting units, windows, painting, carpentry, etc.
• Performs the following for the exterior of the building:
– minor snow removal from parking lot and sidewalks
– oversees contract for grass trimming and landscaping services to insure service levels are met and takes corrective action as needed
• High School diploma or equivalent (GED) required, Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in and/or vocational training that includes HVAC, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, general building maintenance or equivalent combination of eduation and experience.
• Knowledge of power and hand tools, electrical and mechanical testing equipment required.
• Knowledge of installation, maintenance and repair methods relating to commercial building repair systems.
• Must be familiar with various test instruments required to perform the essential duties.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints, schematics and drawings.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Must possess basic computer skills for researching information, record keeping and reporting.
• Have demonstrated the ability to work effectively and in a positive manner with peers.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to exercise good judgment with respect to repairs and equipment safety.
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, Inc. (TCAT, Inc.) is looking for a vehicle mechanic to join our team. Candidates must have the ability to perform routine servicing and preventive maintenance. Diesel and heavy vehicle experience preferred. Background check and pre-employment drug testing are required.
Performs and assumes responsibility for:
• routine servicing and preventative maintenance of transit fleet including: lubrications, oil changes, tire repairs, welding, tune-ups, electrical repairs, body and paint repairs
• completing major repair work including: engine overhaul or replacement, clutch replacement, standard and automatic transmissions, drive line, differential, air brakes, body modifications, diesel and gas engine repair
• using specialized electronic equipment for diagnosis and repair of computerized controls on engines and transmissions
• completing work orders on all repair and maintenance work performed
• using the computerized maintenance records to enter data, check on recent repairs and to review past history on vehicles
• responding to emergency road calls
• assisting with on-the-job-training of new mechanics
• Must possess high school diploma or equivalent (e.g. GED) and be a graduate of an accredited school with certification in diesel technology is desirable; an Associate’s degree in that field preferred;
• Minimum three years mechanical experience working on diesel engines in a heavy equipment environment with vehicles over 18,000 pounds;
• Skilled in the use of tools necessary for the maintenance and repair of heavy duty equipment (e.g. drill press, welders, hoists, hydraulic press, bus washer);
• Must be experienced in air brakes diagnosis and repair;
• Must possess a commercial driver’s license (CDL) with air brake endorsement or obtain license within 3 months of hire date.
Full – Time Bus Operator
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, (TCAT) Inc. is looking for Full Time Bus Operators to be responsible for driving a transit bus on fixed routes in the TCAT service area. Must be 21 years of age, have a high level of customer service skills, a professional attitude and a Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) or a willingness to obtain one. TCAT will train for passenger endorsement. Background check and pre-employment drug testing are required.
- Drive a transit bus on fixed routes (and one demand and response route), as assigned, in the TCAT service area.
- Follow route schedules, timetables and comply with instructions.
- Create and maintain a positive and friendly atmosphere providing the customer polite and courteous service at all times.
- Provide information and direction through listening and interacting with passengers to help meet their needs.
- Perform pre-trip vehicle inspection checks as required by NYS law before departing the garage; complete Driver’s Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR).
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Possess clean and valid Commercial Drivers’ License or be willing to obtain one.
- Be able to meet NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law’s 19-A requirements, including physical examination.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test and be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Possess good knowledge of safe driving practices, vehicle traffic laws and regulations.
- Must be able to drive in all types of weather.
- Possess good communication and customer service skills and be able to relate to customers and fellow works in a positive manner.
Full Time TCAT employees receive a competitive wage and have an excellent benefits package, including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, and free transportation.
TCAT, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, sex, national origin, age, military status, marital status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, gender identity or expression, or any other basis that would be a violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Please click on the links below for additional information.