Posted Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Are you looking for a fulfilling career? If so, you could find a rewarding future with Ithaca, NY. based Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, Inc., (TCAT, Inc.), which is recognized by its peers as being the best transit agency of its size in North America. Fully qualified candidates that join our winning team will receive a sign on bonus of $2,500 to be paid out over a one year period.
The mechanic position requires the ability to perform routine servicing and preventive maintenance with diesel and heavy vehicle experience preferred, and a Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) with air brake endorsement. Background check and pre employment drug testing are required.
Performs and assumes responsibility for:
• routine servicing and preventative maintenance of transit fleet including: lubrications, oil changes, tire repairs, welding, tune-ups, electrical repairs, body and paint repairs
• completing major repair work including: engine overhaul or replacement, clutch replacement, standard and automatic transmissions, drive line, differential, air brakes, body modifications, diesel and gas engine repair
• using specialized electronic equipment for diagnosis and repair of computerized controls on engines and transmissions
• completing work orders on all repair and maintenance work performed
• using the computerized maintenance records to enter data, check on recent repairs and to review past history on vehicles
• responding to emergency road calls
• assisting with on-the-job-training of new mechanics
• Must possess high school diploma or equivalent (e.g. GED) and be a graduate of an accredited school with certification in diesel technology is desirable; an Associate’s degree in that field preferred;
• Minimum three years mechanical experience working on diesel engines in a heavy equipment environment with vehicles over 18,000 pounds;
• Skilled in the use of tools necessary for the maintenance and repair of heavy duty equipment (e.g. drill press, welders, hoists, hydraulic press, bus washer);
• Must be experienced in air brakes diagnosis and repair;
• Must possess a commercial driver’s license (CDL) with air brake endorsement or obtain license within 3 months of hire date.
Full – Time Bus Operator
Posted Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, (TCAT) Inc. is looking for Full Time Bus Operators to be responsible for driving a transit bus on fixed routes in the TCAT service area. Must be 21 years of age, have a high level of customer service skills, a professional attitude and a Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) or a willingness to obtain one. TCAT will train for passenger endorsement. Background check and pre-employment drug testing are required.
• Drive a transit bus on fixed routes (and one demand and response route), as assigned, in the TCAT service area.
• Follow route schedules, timetables and comply with instructions.
• Create and maintain a positive and friendly atmosphere providing the customer polite and courteous service at all times.
• Provide information and direction through listening and interacting with passengers to help meet their needs.
• Perform pre-trip vehicle inspection checks as required by NYS law before departing the garage; complete Driver’s Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR).
• Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Possess clean and valid Commercial Drivers’ License or be willing to obtain one.
• Be able to meet NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law’s 19-A requirements, including physical examination.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug test and be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
• Possess good knowledge of safe driving practices, vehicle traffic laws and regulations.
• Must be able to drive in all types of weather.
• Possess good communication and customer service skills and be able to relate to customers and fellow works in a positive manner.
Manager of Safety Training & Security
Posted Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, Inc. (TCAT), is looking for a Manager of Safety, Training and Security to become an integral part of the management team. Provides technical expertise and oversees, develops, and implements programs and procedures in compliance with Federal and State regulations and company policies. Provides training to all employees in the areas of safety, drug and alcohol, and security. Develops and administers new hire and retraining to experienced bus operators and maintenance staff to meet safety and operations requirements including training on new or modified equipment or procedures. Responds to personal injury and vehicle accidents and initiates accident investigation and reporting and completes on-scene investigations, and preparing / submitting corresponding reports to insurance carriers.
– Develops and maintains records of training completed for all TCAT personnel.
– Develops and administers retraining to experienced bus operators and maintenance staff to meet safety and operations requirements including training on new or modified equipment or procedures.
– Develops and administers training to supervisory staff to enable supervisor to assist in bus operator training, and evaluation of bus operator’s performance.
– Oversees driver trainer program to include administration, selection of driver trainers, performance, program improvements and driver trainer evaluations.
– Ensures all safety manuals and plans, policies and practices are current and meet the needs of the company and Federal and State regulations.
– Resides as the expert in OSHA, CDL and Article 19-A compliance and regulations.
– Initiates accident investigation and reporting; responds to accidents, cooperate with police investigations, obtain accident reports, provide reports to insurance offices.
– Performs instructional check rides with bus operators when safety is in question to counsel on improved driving techniques for compliance with TCAT safety policies.
– Works with ergonomic consultant in providing training and staff development to prevent repetitive motion injuries, back, shoulder, neck and arm injuries for new hires and for refresher training.
– Develops security procedures that can be applied to the TCAT facility and its service vehicles.
– Oversees and administers the security access system and maintains the data to provide the employee the proper level of access given the employee’s job position.
– Oversees the security cameras for buses and facilities and will preserve video as needed for review and incident/accident reporting.
– Oversees TCAT’s drug and alcohol program and policies including drug and alcohol random, pre-employment and post-accident testing safety sensitive personnel
– Must possess Associate’s degree or formal training of two years beyond high school.
– Must possess valid CDL, Class B driver’s license or obtain one within six months of hire.
– Must possess NYS 19-A examiner’s certification or obtain one within one year of hire.
– Must have two or more years of safety experience and/or driver safety experience preferably in the transportation industry.
– Must possess strong coaching and training skills with the ability to interpret and explain regulations to others.
– Two or more years of supervisory experience required preferably with bargaining unit employees.
Full Time TCAT employees receive a competitive wage and have an excellent benefits package, including: Paid training, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, and free transportation.
TCAT, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, sex, national origin, age, military status, marital status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, gender identity or expression, or any other basis that would be a violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Please click on the links below for additional information.