Find out about your rights and responsibilities as a bus rider and what to do in case of an emergency evacuation.
Emergency Transit Evacuation / Look. Listen. Leave.
TCAT is a partner of the Federal Transit Administration Nationwide Transit Safety and Security Awareness Program.
Be involved in a lifesaving partnership between transit employees and passengers.
As a resource, transit employees provide a wealth of specialized knowledge and on-the-job experience. Likewise, transit passengers contribute to the security equation by providing thousands of extra eyes and ears capable of identifying possible life-threatening situations.
For additional information and downloads, visit http://transit-safety.volpe.dot.gov/security/TransitWatch/
Unattended bags / Please notify the bus driver
Be a Transit Watcher — let’s count on each other for a safe ride.
TCAT Policies / Rules of conduct
Passengers with disabilities may ride with their trained service animal. All other animals must be secured in an enclosed crate that is specifically manufactured for the transport of a pet and be small enough to fit on your lap or under the seat. Other than service animals, animals at-large or on a leash or harness are not allowed.
Service animals are animals that have been trained to perform tasks that assist people with disabilities. The bus operator may ask if the animal is a service animal and what tasks the animal has been trained to perform. The service animal must be under complete control of the owner at all times. If the animal is not under the control of the owner or if the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, the operator may require the animal to leave the bus. Dogs that serve as comfort or emotional support dogs are not considered service animals and must be in an enclosed animal carrier in order to be permitted on the bus.
Pass Refund and Loss/Theft Policy
No refunds. TCAT will work with passengers to help resolve any technical problems they encounter. TCAT is not responsible for lost or stolen passes. To that end, passengers are encouraged to register their passes with TCAT and report immediately if they are lost or stolen. In that case, TCAT can deactivate the missing card and re-issue a pass with remaining ride balance.
Any attempt to tamper with, alter or misuse passes could result in legal action.
End of Route
When the bus reaches the end of its route, you must either exit the bus or pay another fare. Pass users will be asked to swipe their pass again.
Bus Passenger Rights & Responsibilities
- Safe and reliable service.
- A professional and courteous bus operator.
- A clean and comfortable bus.
- Accurate and easy-to-access information on routes. schedules, fares and service changes.
- Prompt response to your concerns.
- Participating and to have your input considered regarding service and fares in all TCAT open forums.
- Advance notification of significant service changes or any fare increases.
- Courtesy, dignity and respect from all TCAT staff.
All TCAT passengers are responsible for following the rules of conduct and etiquette:
- No eating, drinking, smoking, spitting or vaping.
- Have fare ready when boarding the bus and exact change for cash fare.
- Show proper ID if asked.
- Keep bus clean and aisles clear.
- Do not occupy more than one seat.
- Collapse grocery carts and strollers. Have children seated.
- Allow seniors or disabled persons to occupy priority seating.
- Use headphones and low volume with audio devices.
- Place pets in appropriate pet carrier.
- Make sure service animals are under control, behave properly and are not sitting on passenger seats.
For your safety:
- Shirt and shoes must be worn.
- No hazardous materials, such as gasoline or car batteries.
- No loud, profane, indecent or otherwise disruptive behavior.
- Keep aisles clear; strollers and carts must be folded.
- Packages must be kept on your lap or under the seat. They may not block the aisle or be stored on a seat.
- Do not stand in front of the standee line.
- Never cross the street in front of bus.
- No bicycles permitted inside the bus. Please use racks provided on the front of the bus.